Saturday 24 January 2015

Rebel Belle






In this post I will do a non spoilers review of Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins. 

Rebel Belle is about a girl named Harper Price who is your typical girly girl. The night of the homecoming she goes into the bathroom to put on some lipgloss and is thrown into battle with her history teacher who is trying to kill the janitor. Right before he is about to die the janitor kisses Harper and bequeathes her with his Paladin powers. Harper's world is thrown upside down when she learns that her Paladin duties are to protect her arch nemesis David Stark. 

I gave this book 4/5 stars it was really fun. But I just didn't like the antagonist, Blair, we know next to nothing about her and she was just thrown into the story without any introduction or anything. I also didn't love to hate her and I think that that's what makes a good antagonist or villain. She was kind of just there she didn't help to the storie's plot line either. Other that that I loved Harper as the narrator and main protagonist. She was fun and very human like. SHe also didn't take super irrationnal decisions like some chacracters do in books. Rachel Hawkins' writting style really did it for me. This is categorised as fantasy but I wouldn't go too far to say that it could be considered cotmporary. I also really liked the love interest David Stark and the way he was a little awkward nerd who doesn't have many friends. I was really rooting for him to get the girl!!!. 

Finally I would recommend this book to people who are trying to get into fantasy and like contemporary. I flew thru this so it is also a very quick read. But it was definitely overhyped. So if you do go into this ingnore all the hype I know it's hard but you will enjoy it more if you don't think that this book will change your life like I did. I think that's why I gave it 4 stars I definitely would've enjoyed it more if it wasn't so hyped. 

That's it for this post and I will try to post another one before the end of this month :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment